News Bulletin - May 13, 2016

Recent Updates to the Commission Bylaw
- Bylaw 318(c)
- Bylaw 639(b)
Seeking volunteers for our committees
CPE Reminder

Recent Updates to the Commission Bylaw
Two bylaws were recently updated by the Board of Directors.

Bylaw 318(c) now reads:
An applicant who has successfully completed the required licensing course, but has never been previously licensed must obtain a licence within 180 days of passing the exam.

This duration of time has been extended from 90 days to give new licensees flexibility on when to license and also to bring our requirements in line with other Canadian jurisdictions.

Bylaw 639(b) now reads:
In cases where the inspection, audit, or review is to be conducted at the location of the Commission, delivery to the Commission office and return to the brokerage shall be conducted as specified by the Commission and the Commission shall bear the required costs.

Purolator services the entire province and is the courier used when requesting documentation for inspection/audit purposes. In situations where the Commission determines the inspection and/or audit will be conducted per Bylaw 639(b), the Commission will bear the courier cost.

Seeking volunteers for our committees
We are looking for volunteers to serve on our Licensing, Complaints Review, Discipline, Commercial and Form Committees.

What does serving on a committee entail?
Serving on a committee provides excellent learning opportunities while allowing you to be a part of the important regulatory process. Licensing or Complaints Review Committee members are required to attend a minimum of four meetings per year as well as additional time spent reviewing documents. Discipline Committee members, may be called upon during the year to serve on a hearing panel, which may require one to three days for a hearing and additional time writing the decision. Members of the Forms Committee must commit to bi-monthly or often monthly meetings depending on the forms being reviewed. The Commercial Committee meets at the discretion of the Chair of the Commercial Committee. All committee volunteers serve for one year.

Who is eligible to serve on a committee?
To apply, you must be a licensee in good standing. See Bylaw 255 for what constitutes 'good standing'.

How do I put my name forward to serve on a committee?
Those interested must outline:
- your name, brokerage and number of years licensed;
- which committee(s) you wish to become a member of;
- experience and/or credentials that you feel would make you a good fit for the committee; and
- why you would like to volunteer with the Commission.

All applications must be received by Friday, May 20th, 2016.

CPE Reminder
CPE requirements must be completed by June 30th, 2016, to process your renewal.

See Continuing Professional Education requirements for 2015/16

Failing to complete CPE prior to the deadline will result in your licence being terminated.

Licensees may choose to terminate their licence prior to the annual renewal date.

Upon termination, for any reason, all advertising (including all online advertising) must be immediately removed or you and your broker may be subject to disciplinary action.

Commission Newsletters

View browser versions of our new Commission News below:

Compiled Commission News Bulletins - This document contains every Commission News Bulletin published by the Commission. Use the PDF search window to enter and search for specific topics.

The Nova Scotia Real Estate
is the regulator of the
Nova Scotia real estate industry.

Contact Us

Nova Scotia Real Estate Commission

601-1595 Bedford Highway
Bedford, NS
B4A 3Y4

p: 1.902.468.3511 or

f:  1.902.468.1016 or